Friday 4 October 2013

CIBC Run for the Cure - A Survivor's Story


October 4th, 2013 marks the CIBC Run for the Cure across Canada.   

This run attracts thousands of runners and walkers each year and is the largest single-day fundraising event for breast cancer research in the country.  Many of LifeMark’s clinicians and staff have been involved in this event for years.

A few years back, LifeMark in Calgary published the story of Kathleen Yanosik, a breast cancer survivor who had taken the Run for the Cure to heart.  We felt the story was powerful and poignant enough to warrant retelling. Here is Kathy’s cancer story.

When were you diagnosed with cancer and how did you find out?
January 9th. 2003, I went for my annual check-up. During the breast examination, my family doctor discovered an indentation on the side of my right breast. The next day I had a mammogram and an ultrasound. The results were inconclusive so I was sent for a biopsy.  Following this, I received a call to see the surgeon immediately. I knew that this was not good. A few days later I had a right mastectomy done.

In 2004, I opted to have my other breast removed, and had double reconstruction done. That was the best decision I could have made. I am a Survivor of 6 years now. I feel good and look not to bad either, as my husband tells me.

How did the diagnosis impact you?
I was very quiet about it at first. I tried not to scare my husband, but I knew something was wrong. When we were told, my husband broke down. I just sat there in shock.  The doctor explained my best option was to take the breast off quickly.

What kind of treatment did you have?
Because of the tumor size, I had chemotherapy, radiation and the drug Tamoxifen for 5 years. During the Tamoxifen therapy, the lining of my cervix enlarged to the point that they feared Cancer developing there, so I had a total hysterectomy done with my ovaries being removed as well. Today I still am taking medication for 3 more years.

During this time I went to Physiotherapy for 2 years to help me get my mobility back in my right arm and deal with the pain from the scar tissue and stiffness in my neck. I also did Deep Water Running and kept as physically fit as I could.

What have you done to move forward since your diagnosis? 
I walked the CIBC Run for the Cure the first two years, then I found out that the Running Room gave free Learn to Run classes for Survivors. I was 58 years old at this time, and I found that even running for a minute was hard. I was slow and always at the back of the group, but I just kept going because I was alive and I wanted to feel alive. I completed several 5Km clinics and then 10Km clinics. I never went into races though because I was too slow. After my hysterectomy in the fall of 2006, I started teaching a Learn to Run Class in January 2007 to get me back to running again. That year I ran my first 10Km races and also began training for my first half-marathon. I ran my first half-marathon in February 2008 and have now finished five at age 62. I’m now training for my first full marathon and will be racing in Kelowna on Thanksgiving Weekend.

I did not do this by myself. I had great mentors and was in Physio almost every 3 to 4 months with some injury that I needed help with.

What advice do you have for people affected by cancer?
Think positive and that YOU ARE A SURVIVOR! Take one step at a time, and stay away from the negative attitudes that people have today. I am at my best when I think Positive, live healthy and believe in my Faith. Find a great Support System and learn to lean on others as well as to give to others. Go Forward. Living is Good.

To find out more about the CIBC Run for the Cure, visit www.runforthecure.com.